PUBLIC DISCLOSURE NOTICE
REHABILITATION AND MODERNIZATION OF TONO IRRIGATION SCHEME – UPPER EAST REGION
PUBLIC DISCLOSURE OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT (ESIA), ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL MANAGEMENT PLAN (ESMP) AND DAM SAFETY ASSESSMENT REPORTS
The Government of Ghana (GoG) through the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) is implementing the Ghana Commercial Agriculture Project (GCAP) with funding from the World Bank and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The project’s Development Objective (DO) is to improve agricultural productivity and production of both smallholder and nucleus farms in selected project intervention areas of Ghana.
The project has four components of which the component 3 among others, focuses on investments in physical rehabilitation and modernization of selected public irrigation and drainage infrastructure. In line with this, GCAP in consultation with the Ghana Irrigation Development Authority (GIDA) has selected the Tono Irrigation Scheme in Tono near Navrongo in the Upper East Region for rehabilitation and modernization. The irrigation scheme has a gross area of 2,680ha of which 2,490ha is developed under irrigation.
The proposed works will involve the following:
- Rehabilitation of existing line canals and associated hydraulic structures;
- Construction of new lined and unlined canals and associated hydraulic works;
- Upgrading and repair of existing earthen roads;
- Clearing and widening of drains;
- Repair of the Dam Wall, Spillway and appurtenances;
- Supply and installation of solar powered pumps;
- Instrumentation and automation system which involves implementation of constant volume method of canal operation using SCADA and solar powered automated gates.
In compliance with the Environmental Assessment Regulations of 1999 (LI 1652) and the World Bank Safeguards Policies particularly OP/BP 4.01 and OP/BP 4.37, GCAP has prepared an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP), and Dam Safety Assessment Reports which include Standard Operating Procedures Manual and Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan. These reports, among others, reveal potential adverse environmental, social, health and safety impacts that are associated with the construction works and those that may arise in the course of the scheme’s operations. Also included in the reports are mitigation measures which could help avoid, minimize and/or resolve these potential impacts. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of Ghana has issued a permit for the construction works to begin.
The ESIA report presents policies, regulations and institutional frameworks; engineering design of the proposed works including alternatives; environmental and socio-economic baseline information; stakeholder consultations; potential environment, social, health and safety (ESHS) impacts.
The ESMP gives specific mitigation measures to help avoid, minimize and/or resolve the impacts. Also included are measures to identify and resolve grievances at project communities and proposes a monitoring plan to proactively identify risks and impacts of the project and to contribute towards the assessment and evaluation of mitigation measures.
The Dam Safety Assessment Reports – including the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) Manual – assess and evaluate the structural integrity of the dam to continuously service the irrigation scheme and propose measures to prolong the life of the dam. The SOP Manual guides the operation of the Tono Dam, maintenance and management to ensure safety of the facility and consequently, populations living in and around the catchment of the dam, in particular, downstream communities
Notice is hereby served on the general public that software copies of the afore-mentioned reports can be accessed from the links below :
DAM SAFETY REPORT
Notice is hereby served on the general public that hard copies of the afore-mentioned reports can be accessed at the under-listed locations :
- EPA Head Office Library, Accra;
- EPA Regional Office, Bolgatanga;
- Office of the Regional Coordinating Council, Bolgatanga;
- Office of Kassena Nankana Municipality, Navrongo;
- Office of Builsa North District Assembly; Sandema.
- Office of Northern Development Authority, Tamale;
- Ghana Commercial Agriculture Project (GCAP) Office, Cantonments, Accra;
- GCAP Office, Tamale;
- ICOUR Office, Tono-Navrongo;
- Ghana Irrigation Development Authority (GIDA) Head office, Accra;
- Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) Head Office, Ministries, Accra.
This Public Notice is also published on the information Bulletin Boards in Tono Irrigation Project communities;
For further enquiries about this disclosure, please contact: email@example.com
THE GHANA COMMERCIAL AGRICULTURE PROJECT (GCAP)