PUBLIC DISCLOSURE NOTICE
REHABILITATION AND MODERNIZATION OF KPONG IRRIGATION SCHEME (KIS)
PUBLIC DISCLOSURE OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT AND ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL MANAGEMENT PLAN (ESIA & ESMP)
The Government of Ghana (GoG) through the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) is implementing the Ghana Commercial Agriculture Project (GCAP) with funding from the World Bank and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The project’s Development Objective (DO) is to improve agricultural productivity and production of both smallholder and nucleus farms in selected project intervention areas of Ghana.
The project has four components of which the component 3 among others, focuses on investments in physical rehabilitation and modernization of selected public irrigation and drainage infrastructure. In line with this, GCAP in consultation with the Ghana Irrigation Development Authority (GIDA) has selected the Kpong Irrigation Scheme (KIS) for rehabilitation and modernization. The KIS transverses the towns of Asutsuare and Akuse, respectively in the Shai-Osudoku District of the Greater Accra Region and Lower Manya Krobo Municipality of the Eastern Region. The scheme currently covers approximately 3000ha divided into three sections: A, B and C, with dilapidated state of infrastructure at all the sections.
The proposed works will involve the following:
- rehabilitation of existing main and branch canals with partial lining at specific sections;
- rehabilitation of hydraulic structures;
- introduction of piped system (semi-Californian system) to replace lateral and sub-lateral canals;
- refurbishment of re-lift pump station;
- upgrading of maintenance and inspection roads;
- clearing of vegetation, removal of sediments and reshaping of drains;
- construction of five (5) cattle watering troughs along the main canal;
- installation of instrumentation to automate gates and water discharge
In compliance with the Environmental Assessment Regulations of 1999 (LI 1652) and the World Bank Safeguards Policies particularly OP/BP 4.01, GCAP has prepared an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) and Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) to guide the construction works and the scheme’s operations after rehabilitation.
These reports, among others, reveal potential adverse environmental, social, health and safety impacts that are associated with the construction works and those that may arise in the course of the scheme’s operations. Also included in the reports are mitigation measures which could help avoid, minimize and/or resolve these potential impacts. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of Ghana has issued a permit for the construction works to begin.
The ESIA report presents policies, regulations and institutional frameworks; engineering design of the proposed works including alternatives; environmental and socio-economic baseline information; stakeholder consultations; potential environmental, social, health and safety (ESHS) impacts.
The ESMP gives specific mitigation measures to help avoid, minimize and/or resolve the impacts. Also included are measures to identify and resolve grievances at project communities and proposes a monitoring plan to proactively identify risks and impacts of the project and to contribute towards the assessment and evaluation of mitigation measures.
The afore-mentioned reports can therefore be downloaded through links below:
Notice is hereby served on the general public that the afore-mentioned reports have already been disclosed in hard copies at the under-listed locations:
- EPA Head Office Library, Accra;
- EPA Regional Office, Koforidua;
- Office of Shai-Osudoku District Assembly, Dodowa;
- Office of Lower Manya Krobo Municipality, Odumase Krobo;
- Head Office, Ghana Irrigation Development Authority (GIDA), Accra;
- Office of Kpong Irrigation Scheme (KIS) Management, Asutsuare;
- Ghana Commercial Agriculture Project (GCAP) Office, Cantonments, Accra;
- Head Office, Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MOFA), Accra
This Public Notice is also published on Information Bulletin Boards in KIS communities.
For further enquiries about this disclosure, please contact: email@example.com
ISSUED BY THE GHANA COMMERCIAL AGRICULTURE PROJECT (GCAP)