ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT (ESIA) AND ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL MANAGEMENT PLAN (ESMP) FOR THE REHABILITATION AND MODERNIZATION OF KPONG LEFT BANK IRRIGATION PROJECT (KLBIP)
The Government of Ghana (GoG) through the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) is implementing the Ghana Commercial Agriculture Project (GCAP) with funding from the World Bank and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The project’s Development Objective (DO) is to improve agricultural productivity and production of both smallholder and nucleus farms in selected project intervention areas with increased access to reliable water, land, finance, and agricultural input and output markets.
The project has four components and one of its components (component 5) focuses on investments in physical rehabilitation and modernization of selected existing public irrigation and drainage infrastructure. In line with this, GCAP in consultation with the Ghana Irrigation Development Authority (GIDA) has selected the Kpong Left Bank Irrigation Project (KLBIP) in Torgorme for rehabilitation and modernization.
The proposed works on KLBIP will include but not limited to the following:
- Rehabilitation and modernization of the existing 450ha (approximately) which was initially constructed with support from Millennium Development Authority (MiDA);
- Expansion of irrigation coverage to cover additional 1550ha;
- Rehabilitation of existing concrete lined irrigation canals and earth drains;
- Construction of new concrete lined irrigation canals and earth drains as extension to the existing ones;
- Farm land development (land clearing & de-stumping, levelling, bunding);
- Rehabilitation of farm access and community linkage roads;
- Installation of automation/instrumentation to control irrigation gates and ensure efficient usage and management of water;
- Construction of ancillary facilities such as drying floors, warehouses, pack houses etc.
In compliance with the Environmental Assessment Regulations of 1999 (LI 1652) and the World Bank Policy (OP/BP 4.01) – Environmental Assessment – GCAP has prepared an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) and Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) for the rehabilitation and modernization works of KLBIP. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has issued a permit to that effect.
The ESIA report presents policies, regulations and institutional frameworks; engineering design of the proposed works and alternatives; environmental and socio-economic baseline information; stakeholder consultations; and potential environment, social, health and safety (ESHS) impacts.
The ESMP gives details of how the identified ESHS impacts will be avoided, minimized and mitigated. It also includes measures to address potential grievances and how adverse impacts will be monitored.
Notice is hereby served on the general public that hard copies of the afore-mentioned documents can be accessed at the under-listed locations;
- EPA Head Office Library, Accra;
- EPA Regional Office, Ho;
- Torgorme Community Library, Torgorme;
- North Tongu District Assembly, Battor;
- The Office of Kpong Irrigation Scheme (KIS), Asutsuare.
This Public Notice is also published on Information Bulletin Boards at KLBIP communities
For further enquiries about this disclosure, please contact: email@example.com
Follow the links below to access the documents:
- Kpong Left Bank Irrigation Project (KLBIP) Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA)
- Kpong Left Bank Irrigation Project (KLBIP) Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA)_Annexes
- Kpong Left Bank Irrigation Project (KLBIP) Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP)
- Kpong Left Bank Irrigation Project (KLBIP) Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP)_Annexes